East Devon District Council Coronavirus Community Support Hub

The council's Coronavirus Community Support Hub has been set up to help people who are feeling isolated, or who need help, support or other advice.

You can request help by completing an or by ringing 01395 571 500 for help, Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm (excluding Bank Holidays).

Community support

The council’s website has details of where you can request community support in East Devon, including foodbanks, or find your local Community Contact.

Help to pay council tax

Council Tax Reduction is available for people on a low income to help them pay their council tax.  From 1 April 2020 East Devon has a new Income Banded Council Tax Reduction Scheme for people of working age. Depending on their income and household size, they may qualify for a reduction of between 25% and 85% of the full amount.

For people of pension age, entitlement is based on a national means-tested scheme and can reduce the amount of council tax payable by up to 100%.

The council also has an exceptional hardship scheme for people who are still struggling to pay their council tax and experiencing financial hardship even after any reductions are applied.

See the council tax section of the council’s website for details of other council tax discounts and exemptions, as well as details of how to pay council tax.

Discretionary housing payments

People can apply for Discretionary Housing Payments if they are receiving Housing Benefit or the Housing Cost element of Universal Credit and need extra financial help because their benefit does not cover their full rent.

COVID-19 Hardship Fund

In association with Devon County Council, the council has launched a Financial Hardship Fund to support those whose financial situation has been affected by the current pandemic and who may not be able to access funding or support from elsewhere. The fund can be used for many different things such as access to emergency short term support through shopping vouchers, utility top-ups, paying for essential travel costs or essential advice and support services.

Test and Trace Support Payment

People who have been told to self-isolate may be entitled to a £500 Test and Trace self-isolation payment if they will lose income as a result. To qualify for a payment under the government scheme, the person must be in receipt of a qualifying benefit (Universal Credit, Working Tax Credits, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Income based Job Seekers Allowance, income Support or Pension Credit). But the Council also has a Discretionary Scheme for people who are not in receipt of one of these benefits.