Quids For Kids

The Quids for Kids project helps hundreds of families with children who have additional needs, care leavers, young homeless people and foster parents.

Thanks to our specialist advisers, millions of pounds of unclaimed benefits are now helping families manage the extra financial demands they experience. Over the past financial year we helped 758 clients achieving a total financial gains for our clients of over £790,000. However, we know that many families in these circumstances still don’t claim the benefits they are entitled to.

Go to the Referral Form or read more about Quids for Kids.

Action For Children: Advice For Users Of Children’s Centres In Devon

Action for Children Logo

This service provides advice for users of Children’s Centres in Devon. It can give families a free benefit check, help with claiming and guidance on financial management. It can also help parents understand how getting a job or changing the hours they work would affect their income and benefits.

Referrals can be made by Action for Children staff by completing the Enquiry Form. Families can access the service by contacting their Local Children’s Centre.


We aim to empower people in Devon to take control of their own energy usage by providing them with the knowledge, skills and resources for this to be possible.

A household is considered to be in fuel poverty if 10% or more of the household income is spent on fuel – in short that’s money spent on heating, hot water and running appliances. In Devon and Torbay more than one in ten households are fuel poor, meaning the region has one of the highest levels of fuel poverty in England.

With energy bills never so high and a general squeeze on household income, there has never been a better time to reduce energy costs. A trained team of Energy Champions from Citizens Advice offices across Devon are available to support our more vulnerable energy consumers with advice and support, so they feel confident in using their energy systems and managing their energy bills.

Our Energy Advisors can:

  • provide general advice on how to reduce energy use;
  • help householders understand how to efficiently use their heating and hot water systems;
  • deal with energy supplier issues, including billing and meter problems; and
  • help liaise with social housing landlords to make energy efficiency improvements.

To find out more, get in touch with your local Citizens Advice and request an energy assessment.

Children & Domestic Abuse Law Clinic

The Children & Domestic Abuse Law Clinic offers free legal consultancy and support to people who are not eligible for legal aid and cannot afford to instruct a lawyer. We provide advice on parental responsibility, child arrangements/disputes and domestic abuse injunctions. 

Social Prescribing

Devon County Council logo. They help fund this service.

We received funding from Devon County Council to employ a social prescribing project worker. Over the past year they worked with link workers and other people involved in the delivery of social prescribing to make sure people with problems related to benefits, debt and finance get the help they need.

Here is the report  produced by the project worker, providing a solid evidence base of the practical importance to individuals across Devon being able to access the consistent, accurate, information, advice and guidance on all those Citizens Advice services which are essential components of well-being:  Social Prescribing Project Report 2021


We can all face problems that seem complicated or intimidating. Healthwatch Champions are part of Citizens Advice and we believe no one should have to face these problems without good quality, independent advice. That’s why we’re here: to give people the confidence they need to find their way forward – whoever they are, and whatever their problem.

Healthwatch Champions in Devon provide specialist support, guidance and advice in all aspects of health and social care. The champions will help clients resolve any health and social care enquiries. You can contact your local Citizens Advice and ask to speak to a Healthwatch Champion in your area. Please allow at least 3 working days for contact. Read more about the Healthwatch Devon project

Please be aware that the Healthwatch champions only work 1 day a week in each district so it may take up to 10 days for someone to contact you.

Devon Advice Service For Working Age Carers

Devon Carers Logo

DASWAC is primarily a phone-advice service for all carers in the Devon County Council funded areas of Devon.

This service, alongside the Carers Advice on Benefits service and also the Advice on Benefits Challenging service can help carers to understand what welfare benefits they, or the cared for person might be entitled to.

The service can give carers a free benefit check, which will include looking at whether they would be better off working, and how starting work or changing their hours would affect their income and benefits. DASWAC can be accessed by carers when they have a carer’s needs assessment through Devon Carers: Helpline 03456 434 435  (available Monday to Fridays from 8am – 6pm and on Saturday 9am – 1pm).

Help is available to complete new benefit applications and also to challenge benefit decisions including Social Security Tribunal representation. In some circumstances it may be possible to arrange a face to face appointment when a phone advice service is not suitable. To use this service contact Devon Carers on 03456 434 435.

Victim Care Unit

The Victim Care unit of the office of police and crime commissioner has been in place since April 1st 2015.

The Victim Care Unit offers a service for victims of crime in Devon and Cornwall and the isles of Scilly. The police based victim care unit works with a network of support service providers; Citizens Advice Devon is part of the network of service providers.

Please see the Victim Care Unit website for further details.

Pension Wise – Help With Your Pension

Do you have a defined contribution pension? If you’re aged over 50, our Pension Wise service can help you understand your options.

Free appointments are available in various locations in Devon. 

The national Citizens Advice website has a useful guide to help you get ready for your Pension Wise appointment. You can also book an appointment at Pension Wise.

Other local projects